Friday, September 12, 2008

Ross Goes to Recess

On Tuesday, a couple of the kids had asked me when Ross could come to visit. I told them that I would try to bring him by later in the afternoon. It turned out to be a very busy day, and I had to leave without having a chance to take Ross to visit. On Wednesday, I had the same great intentions, with the same disappointing result. On Thursday, Ross and I were at our other campus. So, today (Friday) I was on the same unit, and one of the kids asked when Ross was going to come visit. I told him that I was going to try to bring him by this afternoon. He replied, "You said that the other day." In turn, I replied, "You're right, and I'm still trying." :) Darn smart kids keeping track!

So, I made a plan with the kids and staff that if they did well at dinner, Ross would join them down on the playground afterwards. One girl wanted to know if he could chase them, when I told her he wasn't allowed to play chase, she asked if he could climb on the play set with them. Of course, I told her that he wasn't allowed to do that either.

Keeping my end of the deal this time, I got down to the playground just in time! The kids were all playing a game, but came running when they saw Ross had arrived. I put him in a sit in the grass, and they huddled around him, all trying to hug and pet him at the same time. Ross started licking their faces, and the next thing I knew, there were 5 heads surrounding his, laughing as he licked their faces and hair. The boy who kept track of Ross' lack of visits loves it when Ross licks the back of his head, resulting in a hair style resembling bed head. Ross laid in the grass with the mob of happy kids until it was time for them to go back to the unit. We walked back with them, where they chorused goodbyes to Ross as we headed back to my office. It was a great end to an otherwise stressful week!

2 comments:

Princess Coral said...

Dear Dr. Vail & Ross,

I have been enjoying your blog for quite some time. Ross is a very impressive puppy!

I had a pleasure of nominating your blog for the blog award! Hope this was OK with you. Please check out my blog for details.

Nikki & Coral
GDB graduates

3 labs 4 me said...

It sounds like Ross is doing a terrific job, in more ways than one. As you know, dogs can do amazing things & your blog will help get the word out to others. I love your stories. Maybe you should get busy on writing a book about Ross. You could make millions. Good job Ross.