Thursday, May 28, 2009

Jazz's First Assignment




As a 10-week-old puppy, the expectations for Jazz at work have been limited: potty outside, sleep or play quietly in the office, look cute, and give the kids kisses. So far, he's been doing a pretty darn good job!

But, it didn't take long for Jazz to start filling Ross' shoes. The dreaded blood draws struck again this week! One of the girls has been refusing her blood draws, as she is afraid of needles. The draws are critical to ensuring her health, given the medication she is on. So, a request was made for Jazz to help her out. 

I wasn't sure how it would go. Jazz is a more active pup than Ross, and he pretty much is only still when he's sleeping. But, his adorable face is pretty much all that anyone needs right now. So, I figured we would give it a shot.

As I entered the unit to find the girl who was getting her blood draw, she yelled with excitement as she saw Jazz come through the door in my arms. After some calm greeting time, we headed to the nurse's office for the blood draw. The girl was scared, but climbed into the chair without much fuss. I sat next to her, Jazz in my arms, and set his paw in her lap. She gently held his paw while crying, more from fear than pain, and Jazz sat quietly in my arms.

We're off to a good start!

5 comments:

Brittany said...

Jazz is so adorable! Good luck to Ross on his IFT journey! I am sure he will do great.

Hannah and Hayden said...

Jazz is such an adorable little guy! Good luck to Ross in Formal Training adventure. He will do awsome.

Anna said...

SO SO SO CUTE!! I've been watching Ross on the phase reports. Good luck from us here in WA!!

3 labs 4 me said...

That photo of Ross & Jazz together is priceless. I love the way you captured Jazz looking over the back of Ross. That's a keeper!! I hope you don't mind if I forward that to my friends.

Briana said...

Jazz is so cute. =) Just found your blog and love it! Hope you don't mind if I link to it. =)